LEAVE THE PATIO AND VENTURE BACK INSIDE TO PREPARE DESSERT? NO WAY. NOT WHEN YOU CAN FINISH OFF A GREAT MEAL RIGHT WHERE IT BEGAN...ON THE GRILL!
WORDS JACKSON FINDS
FRESH FRUIT is truly one of the most versatile ingredients in the cook’s fridge. And while most of us foodies are familiar with the idea of a thinly sliced apple joining a few mixed greens for some much needed crunch, many folks don’t dare throw fresh fruit to the fire. Very easily, however, doing so can transform apples, pears, and other fruits into desserts with depth and healthy sweetness. The best part? You don’t have to leave the outdoor party to get it going.
GRILLED PEACHES WITH A HONEY- BALSAMIC GLAZE
1⁄4 C. balsamic vinegar
1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
1⁄2 C. honey, plus 2 Tbsp.
4 ripe peaches, halved & pitted
Canola oil to coat peaches Optional: Vanilla ice cream
1. Heat the grill to medium-high
2. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, 1⁄2 cup honey, and vanilla. Set aside.
3. Brush peaches lightly with oil to coat and grill until nicely browned and just cooked through. Brush peaches with glaze one minute prior to removing.
4. Arrange 2 peach halves, cut side up, in each bowl. Drizzle with remaining glaze and serve with vanilla ice cream.
GRILLED BANANA BOATS
4 ripe, but firm, unpeeled bananas
1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄2 C. rough chopped walnuts
Optional: Vanilla ice cream
1. Heat the grill to low.
2. Slice bananas in half lengthwise. Set aside.
3. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on cut sides of bananas. Let bananas sit for 3 minutes.
4. Grill bananas cut-side down until nicely marked. Turn over and cook 5 more minutes.
5. Remove skins from banana halves and place 2 banana halves in each serving bowl. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and serve along side a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
GRILLED APPLE WEDGES TOPPED WITH MAPLE-MASCARPONE AND PECANS
4 Granny Smith or Honey Crisp apples (Canola oil to lightly coat apples)
4 Tbsp. butter, softened
1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1/3 C. chopped pecans
1. Heat the grill to medium.
2. Cut apples in half vertically and remove the core, seeds, and stem. In a medium bowl, toss apples with the oil until lightly coated. Place the apples on the grill, cut-side down and grill until evenly browned. Flip the apples over and continue to grill until nicely browned on skin side. Remove from the grill and allow to cool slightly.
3. Once cool enough to handle, cut the apples into wedges. Place the apple wedges into a bowl and toss with butter, ground cinnamon, and light brown sugar.
4. In another bowl, mix the mascarpone until softened. Fold in maple syrup.
5. Divide the apple wedges among four small bowls. Top with maple-mascarpone and chopped pecans.